Friday 3 February 2023

Running and ageing.

A personal outlook on this as it is a very individual thing.

I look on it as you can either rage against the dying of the light or accept it and make the most of it.

I'm nearly 55. I could take the position that I am still 25 and try to run and train like I am. Or, I can accept I am nearly 55 and train and run to do the best for my age and circumstances.

I choose the latter.

Ageing is something we can't change. We will all get older. But we can alter our running and training to allow us to continue and still enjoy running.

I find a combination of running, yoga and pilates works for me. My race personal bests are behind me. But, I do get some PB's for my age and occasionally a PB on my garmin for shorter distances.

I enjoy running these days for the sake of running. I appreciate the fact I can run when many, for various reasons, cannot. I enjoy simply participating in a race rather than the competition.

My next race, first since the pandemic, is the Chester Metric Marathon in October. Looking forward to this for a number of reasons. Firstly just to enjoy participating and appreciating the countryside as it passes by.

Secondly to meet up with people, from my running website/club, who I haven't met.

I record my runs on www.fetcheveryone.com which also has a UK athletics affiliated running club - FERC. As anyone, anywhere can use it there are members far and wide "Fetchies". It will be good to finally have a chance to meet some of them in real life.

There is also the bonus of a PB. I haven't run 26k specifically so will be guaranteed a PB 😀 There's more than one way to still get a PB as you get older 🤣🤣

So to sum up, for me as I get older it is about just appreciating and enjoying the journey 🏃

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two wrongs don't make a right.

What Hamas did is both unacceptable and against international law.  Israel has the right to fight back but not to also go beyond internation...